[Openchemistry-developers] Regarding GSOC-2017

Geoffrey Hutchison geoffh at pitt.edu
Sat Jan 28 16:54:15 EST 2017

Dear Vrushank,

My apologies for a delayed reply - this week I was hit with flu and another infection.

I want to emphasize that while we intend to apply as an organization to GSoC, that there is no guarantee that we will be selected again this year. Moreover, student selection is performed in multiple steps - so starting a project now does not guarantee that even if we participate as an org, that you would be selected as a student.

In short, while we'd greatly appreciate the help and that an early start would be a strong factor in an application.. we can't assure you a GSoC slot.

That said, our current approach would likely center around pybind11 instead of SWIG: https://github.com/pybind/pybind11

My suggestion would be to try some of the simple examples with pybind11 and go from there. For example, I don't know in the last year if there are any tools that automate or partially automate pybind11 along the lines of SWIG.

Hope that helps,
-Geoff

---
Prof. Geoffrey Hutchison