[Openchemistry-developers] GSoC'16 'Biological Data Visualization' Project

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Thu Mar 3 11:28:08 EST 2016

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 12:25 PM, Swapnil Raz
<swapnil.raz at research.iiit.ac.in> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I am Swapnil Raz, a sophomore year student at IIIT-Hyderabad pursuing research in
> Computational Natural Sciences. I have already completed courses such as Intro to Biology and Biomolecular Structure & Supramolecular Chemistry
> and am already accustomed to tools like ISIS Draw and VMD.
> Also I have experience with OpenGL.

I am glad you are interested, and it sounds like you have a good
background in this area.

> Proficient Languages/Tools : C , C++ , Python , mySQL , web2py , OpenGL 3.0
>
> I am interested in contributing to 'Biological Data Visualization' project 'as part of GSoC 16'. I
> was trying to set up the development environment for the project and am done with boost , eigen , hdf5 , glew and zlib .

Sounds great, you can possibly disable VTK if necessary (you can still
work with most things you would be interested in). Some ideas below -
it depends on your Linux distribution.

> While performing the build for VTK , I am stuck.
> Can you point me in the right direction ?
>

> Extract of the LOG:
>
> Could not find a package configuration file provided by "Qt5Designer" with
>   any of the following names:
>
>     Qt5DesignerConfig.cmake
>     qt5designer-config.cmake
>
> make[2]: *** [thirdparty/VTK-prefix/src/VTK-stamp/VTK-configure] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [thirdparty/CMakeFiles/VTK.dir/all] Error 2

You are missing some of the development libraries for Qt 5, you need
to install all development libraries/headers, and this depends upon
the Linux distribution. VTK has some designer libraries it creates.

Marcus