[Na-mic-project-week] Introducing two projects to discuss for NA-MIC week

Alexis Girault alexis.girault at kitware.com
Wed Nov 23 14:50:20 EST 2016

Hi everyone,

I wanted to introduce you to two topics I would like to investigate and
discuss during the next conference call and the na-mic week in Boston:

*Volumetric Mesh support:*
We collaborate on a project which uses finite element meshes to compute
light propagation within soft tissues for optical imaging. Their mesh is
computed using label map images, and they would like to visualize their
output data overlayed above the structural images used for the segmentation
without having to resample it within the original volume domain. JC
directed me to the interesting work that is still in Slicer 3.6
<https://www.slicer.org/wiki/Modules:IA_FEMesh-Documentation-3.6>. The
discussion on this topic could be related to the potential wrapping of VTK
unstructured grid, to think about where it could fall within the current
nodes hierarchy (link with models...), etc...

*MatLab tighter integration:*
Right now - based on my current understanding of the framework -
MatLabBridge allows us to forward commands to a MatLab server and retrieve
information, and offers methods to convert data to and from MatLab, but the
workspace environment instanciated while processing the given commands is
lost (no way to still access the MatLab variables created, to keep using
MatLab from the latest state). We would like to investigate a solution that
would allow us to keep the MatLab state alive, to visualize the MatLab
workspace variables within Slicer (table node?), to directly enter MatLab
commands within Slicer (using a custom ctkConsole, like the python console?)

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and possible interests in those
topics.

Best regards,

Alexis Girault
R&D Engineer in Medical Computing