[Midas] looking into MIDAS for Old Dominion's Data Management Plan... questions vs MIT DSpace and others

Patrick Reynolds patrick.reynolds at kitware.com
Thu Jun 28 14:13:04 EDT 2012

Michel,

It's good to hear from you :). I've responded inline.

Thanks,
Patrick Reynolds
Technical Leader
Kitware, Inc.
919 869 8848

On Jun 22, 2012, at 12:04 PM, Audette, Michel A. wrote:

> Dear Midas users,
>
> I am a former Kitware employee, now at Old Dominion University, and I've been asked to take part in a committee to come up with a Data Management Plan, in compliance with requirements for NSF and NIH proposals. We are looking at a number of competing solutions, all of them apparenty open-source: MIDAS, MIT's DSpace, and Fedora Commons.
>
> Can anyone comment on
> 1) how these competing options compare to each other, i.e. pros and cons of each?

I'm not terribly familiar with Fedora Commons, but I can comment on Midas vs DSpace. DSpace, as far as I know it is primarily geared to storing published works (books, journal articles, etc.) where Midas aims to be a more general solution to the problem of data sharing and publication. An interesting bit of history is that the original Midas 1.X series was based on DSpace. We still have a lot of similar internal data structures, but our goals and external interfaces have diverged.

> 2) in the event that these competing options have different strengths, is it possible to exploit two or more, and exploit their complementarity (i.e.: are these solutions inter-operable?)?

On this I'm not sure about Fedora Commons or DSpace, but I can say that Midas has a fully-featured RESTful web API that should allow interoperation with virtually any system.

> Thanks for your kind consideration.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any follow-up questions.