[Midas] What do I need to do to stop the Security Warning from popping up?

Zach Mullen zach.mullen at kitware.com
Tue Dec 18 10:27:51 EST 2012

Hi Gary,

Your browser will warn you anytime a site requests to use a Java applet
because they are able to access your local filesystem and do potentially
harmful things.  The only way to get around this warning confirmation
dialog is to pay a trusted 3rd party to get a certificate, and then sign
the applet with that certificate when you bundle it.  This certificate
would be specific to the domain that is running the instance, and I'm not
exactly sure of the cost but I think it is a few hundred dollars at least.

Here is a site that explains how to do it if you want to:
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/1.5.0/docs/guide/plugin/developer_guide/rsa_signing.html

Otherwise, most of our instances are just using the self-signed jar, and we
just tell users to accept the applet when the warning dialog appears.

Hope this helps,

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 8:59 AM, Gary Wernsing <gary.wernsing at bbmsc.com>wrote:

>  Dear Midas,
>
>  When I upload large files with MidasUploader I get a "Security Warning"
> dialog box from either the MidasUploader app or from Java informing me that
> MidasUploader has an UNKNOWN Publisher and requiring me to select a
> checkbox to "...accept the risk..." (see attachment).
>
>  What steps do I need to take to prevent this from happening? I am hoping
> that the solution is not to somehow reduce the general level of security of
> using my browser.
>
>  Thanks for your help!
>
>  --Gary

Zach Mullen