[ITK-users] Mattes Mutual Information Metric - MultiThread

Ivan Setiawan ivans at yahoo.co.jp
Wed Apr 23 07:41:51 EDT 2014

Dear all,

I have a question regarding multi-threading in itk::MattesMutualInformationImageToImageMetric.
Currently I am using v4.4.0.

The document below has a note that "2. This class in not thread safe due the private data structures used to the store the sampled points and the marginal and joint pdfs."
http://www.itk.org/Doxygen44/html/classitk_1_1MattesMutualInformationImageToImageMetric.html

However, I have tried with SetNumberOfThreads(1) and SetNumberOfThreads(16) and found that both single- or multi-thread gave the same bit-exact result.
Of course, the one with SetNumberOfThreads(16) processed much faster.

So my question, is it OK to use itk::MattesMutualInformationImageToImageMetric with multi-thread even though the document says not to?

Thank you and best regards,
Ivan