[Insight-users] itk::ImageSeriesReader Thead-Safe

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Tue Jun 25 15:02:32 EDT 2013

Hello,

What is your Image file type you are using? What is the ImageIO class used?

Can you please specify what type of thread "safety" you mean? The ITK pipeline is inherently not concurrent thread safe. Meaning that you can not call Update from a single object from multiple threads.

Ingeneral you can create multiple independent pipelines and execute them in different threads. However, there are certain methods in VNL from fortran, and other libraries such as ImageIO third parties that may have some issues.

You can likely share an image as input to multiple pipelines as long as in has no source filter and it's buffered region is the same as the largest possible region.

I hope that helps.

Brad