[Insight-users] help for Registration

Mohammad Mayya mhd.mayya at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 14:02:21 EDT 2012

Hello Massi,

Can you tell what do you want the registration for? Are the two images from
the same modality? That may help narrowing the choice.

Anyway, since you reformulated your problem as geometric, you are left with
Landmarks-based methods which are the classic example of geometric-driven
registration. In such a setting, a number of anatomical key points
(landmarks) are identified both in the source and the target images and a
transformation that aims to maximize a similarity metric usually based on
the distance between these structures is to be recovered.
The main limitation of these methods related to the selection and
extraction of landmarks, while their main strength is the simplicity of the
optimization process.
Nevertheless, when dealing with intensities (ex. images from the same
modality), methods that seek for “visual” correspondences between the
source and the target image can be considered. Here an explicit photometric
correspondence of the image intensities is to be identified.

Mhd