[Insight-users] What is the mean of DICOM tag ID? line number or something else?

flydps flydps at 163.com
Sat Sep 8 19:52:13 EDT 2012

Dear friends,
I am learning DICOM format image read and write.  But now one problem confusing me much is that what is the mean of DICOM tag ID, such as " (0010,0010)   PatientName".
Is  (0010,0010) the offset from the beginning of the file, but if it is so, I find that when I open one DICOM file, I find that the Offset of the PaitientName is "738", in the binary show file, line number for PaitientName  is "000002E0"(in hexadecimal ), the column number is "2".  And I find no description of DICOM tag ID. Then can anyone tell what is the detailed mean of (0010,0010)? It is line number? offset? or other means.

flydps