[Insight-users] metricsv4

Alex Taylor Alex.Taylor at mathworks.com
Tue Sep 4 09:52:04 EDT 2012

I noticed that the Modules directory for ITK 4.2 contains a Metricsv4
subdirectory under the Registration module. From a bit of poking around, it
looks like the intention of these metrics is threaded, faster versions of
the original metrics by the same name. Since you've added a "v4" suffix to
the original object names as an opt-in interface, I was curious what the
expectation is in terms of compatibility with the original metrics. I'm
particularly interested in how the behavior/numerics of:

itkMattesMutualInformationImageToImageMetricv4

And

itkMeanSquaresImageToImageMetricv4

Compare to the v3 versions of the same objects? Are these just threaded functions with the exact same behavior as far as numerics, or are there other functional differences in the metrics to be aware of?

- Alex.