[Insight-users] Segmentation Problem

Abayiz abayiz at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 20 04:55:23 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I am using Geodesic active contour segmentation method, in which the feature image is generated from a sigmoid function output as shown in the itk user guide example. But this time, I first saved the sigmoid function output, then read it again to give to the "SetFeatureImage" part of "geodesicActiveContour" filter, and it gives out the following error message:
*************************************
Exception caught !

itk::ExceptionObject (0x10fd470)
Location: "void itk::ImageFileWriter<TInputImage>::Write() [with TInputImage = itk::Image<unsigned char, 3u>]"
File: /usr/local/include/InsightToolkit/IO/itkImageFileWriter.txx
Line: 271
Description: itk::ERROR: ImageFileWriter(0x10caa80): Largest possible region does not fully contain requested paste IO regionPaste IO region: ImageIORegion (0x7fff931ffcc0)
  Dimension: 3
  Index: 0 0 0
  Size: 0 0 0
Largest possible region: ImageRegion (0x7fff931ffd80)
  Dimension: 3
  Index: [0, 0, 0]
  Size: [0, 0, 0]

Max. no. iterations: 500
Max. RMS error: 0.02

No. elpased iterations: 0
RMS change: 0
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'itk::ExceptionObject'
  what():  /usr/local/include/InsightToolkit/IO/itkImageFileWriter.txx:271:
itk::ERROR: ImageFileWriter(0x10dd430): Largest possible region does not fully contain requested paste IO regionPaste IO region: ImageIORegion (0x7fff931ffcc0)
  Dimension: 3
  Index: 0 0 0
  Size: 0 0 0
Largest possible region: ImageRegion (0x7fff931ffd80)
  Dimension: 3
  Index: [0, 0, 0]
  Size: [0, 0, 0]

Aborted

What could be the problem? Besides, up to now, I didn't get at least a kind of segmentation result using "geodesicactivecontour" example in the user guide. Either the output is all dark, or there's only a very strange little white region. I played with many different parameters, but it didn't work. And I am sure my 3D data has no problem since I can do some kind of threshold segmentation on it.

Hope to receive your helpful suggestions soon!