[Insight-users] _TIFFerrorHandlerExt already defined in vtktiff.lib

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Mon Sep 12 13:30:55 EDT 2011

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 16:47:35 +0200, Dženan Zukić said:

>I just updated my ITK4 git repository (I had maybe a month old version
>previously). ITK itself compiles without issues, but my project gets some
>linking errors.
>
>For Debug there is one error:
>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file
>'D:\SDK\ITK4build\lib\Debug\ITKgiftiio-4.0.lib'

That looks like a different problem.

>For Release these two errors appear:
>itktiff-4.0.lib(tif_error.obj) : error LNK2005: _TIFFerrorHandlerExt already
>defined in vtktiff.lib(tif_error.obj)
>itktiff-4.0.lib(tif_warning.obj) : error LNK2005: _TIFFwarningHandlerExt
>already defined in vtktiff.lib(tif_warning.obj)

If you check your VTK and ITK source trees for files with the name 'mangle' you'll find:

vtk_tiff_mangle.h
itk_tiff_mangle.h

They use preprocessor magic to change the symbol names of libTIFF functions to prevent the exact problem you are seeing.  I suspect something is missing from one of both of those files.  If you find it, a patch would be nice!

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com