[Insight-users] help in choosing right deformable registration algorithms

Ryan Guan ryan.guan at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 16 13:36:42 EDT 2011

Dear ITK Users,

I am new to DIR world and I need to work out the best DVFs for my 'deformed' phantom images.
I tried  Demons and B-Spline as in DeformableRegistration2 and DeformableRegistration7, but neither of them seem to be very good. The results can be downloaded from my dropbox:
Demons:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1906263/golf_demons.gif
B-Spline:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1906263/golf_bspline.gif

The B-Spline ones look more reasonable but still with quite obvious errors at the region where there is no deformation. I guess there might be something to do before deformable registration could be helpful or there might be better algorithms for this case? Your suggestions will be appreciated VERY MUCH!

Another question regarding visualizing vector fields in Paraview: it seems that Paraview display PNG (images) and VTK (vector field, after 'scalars_X*iHat+scalars_Y*jHat' and glyph) in different Y orientations. I haven't figured out how to correctly overlay them, but just tried to flip and shift the vector field in Paraview, so the vector field in the above results might not be quite aligned with the images. Will also appreciate if you can help to let me know the best&correct way to visualize the vector fields!

Thanks a lot for any inputs!

Ryan