[Insight-users] ITK Dicom Pixeldata

Daniel Blezek Blezek.Daniel at mayo.edu
Mon Jun 13 08:41:33 EDT 2011

Andy, > The problem is, that its a little bit slow, because with a dicom >
with 400 slices on the ipad, it costs me 50-52seconds to create >
UIImages(ipad image format) out of the dicom slice pixeldata. But I think >
the ipad is probably to slow for that.
The iPad isn¹t slow at all.  In our experience, the iPad is mainly I/O
bound.  Apple has a good example of how to populate UIImages a background
thread (see below).  This has worked very well for us.  While our
performance is the same as yours (worse, because we bring them across the
network), from the user¹s perspective we are able to load a 600 slice CT
series instantaneously using background threads.

If you desire to run on the iPhone, you will need to do this!  It¹s
performance is much less than the iPad.

Have a look at these two Stack Overflow questions:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3356080/how-to-manage-memory-on-iphone-wh
en-handling-many-images/3356776#3356776
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2782454/can-i-load-a-uiimage-from-a-url/2
782491#2782491

Apple¹s LazyTableImages is very helpful:

http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#samplecode/LazyTableImages/Introduct
ion/Intro.html

And I would highly recommend this article:

http://davidgolightly.blogspot.com/2009/02/asynchronous-image-caching-with-i
phone.html

Best,
-dan