[Insight-users] multiresolution registration time

Sara Rolfe smrolfe at u.washington.edu
Tue Aug 16 18:37:23 EDT 2011

Hello,

I am attempting to register two large images (around 200 MB).  I
implemented a multiresolution registration method using using a mean
squares metric based on the ImageRegistration8.cxx and
MultiResImageResolution.cxx examples.

I let the registration run with 5 pyramid levels, max step length =
0.2, min step length = 0.0001.  The output looked perfect but it took
16 hours to complete.  I'm looking for ways to speed this up.
Increasing the pyramid levels did not change the processing time.  I
have also tried a max step = 10 and min step = 1.0 but these are still
running after 5 hours.

My next step is to monitor the registration to see if I can determine
the cause of the long processing time.  But if I am missing anything
obvious or if you have any ideas I would appreciate some input.  I can
send my code if needed, but it was too long to attach here.

I have a 2.4GHz processor with 32GB RAM and am running 64-bit Linux.

Thanks,
Sara