[Insight-users] Local texture Features

Neal R. Harvey harve at lanl.gov
Thu Apr 28 12:14:41 EDT 2011

Neil Panjwani Wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm interested in computing local texture maps. I found a few filters in
>ITK, including the GreyLevelCooccurrenceMatrixTextureCoefficientsCalculator,
>which does compute many of the features I'm interested in. However, it does
>so over an entire image, a masked image, or given a cooccurrence matrix
>(which is usually generated from the entire image) and only returns one
>texture value for each feature given that input. I'd like to compute these
>features locally, in say a 9x9 neighborhood much like the MATLAB function
>entropyfilt() (
>http://www.mathworks.com/help/toolbox/images/ref/entropyfilt.html)
>
>How can I utilize these filters to compute local features?

    I am also very interested in doing exactly the same thing.
    For example, if I have a segmentation and a number of objects
    labeled in an image, I would like to get texture measures for each
    individual object.

    When I looked into this I wasn't even able to get the code for the
    ITK plain vanilla GLCM operators working properly, let alone
    something more complicated. In the end, I went to OpenCV and
    modified some of the code there to do what I needed.

    If anyone can provide examples of code that successfully implements
    the ITK GLCM operators, that can provide results that correlate well
    with applying some other GLCM tools such as those available in
    matlab, it would be very much appreciated. If anyone is able to
    provide a solution to the more complicated problem as elucidated by
    Mr Panjwani, that would be wonderful.

    Cheers

HARVE (Neal R. Harvey)           Email: harve at lanl.gov
ISR-2                            Phone: 505 667 9077
Los Alamos National Laboratory   Fax: 505 664 0362
Los Alamos, NM 87545, USA        Mail Stop: D-436