[Insight-users] Res: Fast access to slices of 3D image + problem with BinaryFillholeImageFilter

Tiago Brizolara da Rosa yarroo at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 26 19:18:12 EDT 2011

Hi all,

    Thank you very much for your help!
    Using SliceBySliceImageFilter with the BinaryFillholeImageFilter did the
job. And thanks for the explanation, Gaëtan.

    Tiago

________________________________
De: Gaëtan Lehmann <gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr>
Para: Tiago Brizolara da Rosa <yarroo at yahoo.com>
Cc: ITK Users <insight-users at itk.org>; Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com>
Enviadas: Terça-feira, 26 de Abril de 2011 4:41:11
Assunto: Re: [Insight-users] Fast access to slices of 3D image + problem with
BinaryFillholeImageFilter

Hi,

This filter should work fine in N dimensions. Are you sure there is a real
problem with the filter?
The fill holes transform is very sensible to any open pixel. In 3D, it may be
difficult to see if a hole is open, but the algorithm won't miss it.

Using it in 2D in a 3D image is a perfectly valid usage, especially if the
spacing in your image is not uniform - I'm almost always using that filter that
way.
SliceBySliceImageFilter makes easy to apply a 2D filter in a 3D image.

Regards,

Gaëtan

Le 26 avr. 11 à 05:08, Bill Lorensen a écrit :

> In the example, did you change:
>  const int dim = 2;
>  const int dim = 3;
>

> On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 9:13 PM, Tiago Brizolara da Rosa <yarroo at yahoo.com>
>wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>    I would like to know if there is a fast way of manipulating a slice of a 3D
>volume. Specifically, I want to apply a filter to individual slices of a volume.
>The only way I know for doing that is by, for each desired slice: applying a
>ExtractImageFilter and then applying the filter I want to use to the slice image
>generated.
>    Is there a way for jumping this step (ExtractImageFilter)? For example, if I
>wanted to manipulate the pixels of my desired slices, I should use the
>ImageSliceIteratorWithIndex, so I wouldn´t need the ExtractImageFilter. But what
>I want is to apply a filter to each slice. Is it posible to do this without
>having to generate a new image for each one with ExtractImageFilter?
>
>    Now the problem with BinaryFillholeImageFilter. In fact, the reason for the
>above question comes from a workaround to the problem with this filter.
>    I tried to use BinaryFillholeImageFilter in exactly the same way as in the
>example file binary_fill_hole.cxx, but without success. Then I noticed that it
>works fine if my image is two-dimensional (I was trying to use in a 3D image
>read from a DICOM series). It was not supposed to work in a 3D image?
>    I am using ITK 3.8.0 in Windows 7 and downloaded the code for the morphology
>filters and samples from the Insight Journal´s article
> Label object representation and manipulation with ITK
>(http://www.insight-journal.org/browse/publication/176).
>
>    Well, as a workaround, I want to apply BinaryFillholeImageFilter to all the
>individual slices of the volume. I think that generating a 2D image for each one
>would be very painfull. This is the reason for the first question of this
>e-mail.
>
>    Thanks in advance,
>
>    Tiago

> http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_FAQ

> http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_FAQ

--Gaëtan Lehmann
INRA de Jouy-en-Josas (France)
tel: +33 1 34 65 29 66    fax: 01 34 65 29 09
http://voxel.jouy.inra.fr  http://www.itk.org
http://www.mandriva.org  http://www.bepo.fr