[Insight-users] standard deviation parameter in MutualInformationmetric

Laurent Paul l.paul at uclouvain.be
Fri Apr 22 05:25:45 EDT 2011

Dear all,

I use the Mutual Information for a while and it works perfectly.
I tried to apply it onto non normalized images and sometimes, I get the
following error message:
"Standard deviation is too small"

I saw that a gaussian kernel is used to estimate the probability density
function and that the default value for its standard deviation is 0.4.
Is there a way to estimate the optimal value for this parameter? Is it
dependant to the input images grey values ?
Thanks for your help.
Laurent.