[Insight-users] Problem in writing vector images

Hsieh M.Hsieh at student.tudelft.nl
Mon Apr 11 09:12:04 EDT 2011

Hi all,

After extracting scalar components from vector image using
itkVectorIndexSelectionCastImageFilter.h and some image processing on
each of them, now I want to put these scalar images back into one vector
image by using, idea searched from the insight user archive,
itkImageToVectorImageFilter.h, a type conversion error occurred when I
tried to write the "VectorImage" image from the output of
itkImageToVectorImageFilter to the image file writer.

Type definition are shown:

typedef itk::DiffusionTensor3D< PixelType >       DTIPixelType;

typedef itk::Image< DTIPixelType, 3 >           DTIImageType;

    typedef itk::VectorImage< DTIPixelType, 6>   DTIOutputImageType;

     typedef itk::Image<  PixelType, 3 >          ScalarImageType;

typedef itk::VectorIndexSelectionCastImageFilter< DTIImageType,

                                                       ScalarImageType >
VectorSelectType;

     typedef itk::ImageToVectorImageFilter< ScalarImageType >
VectorCombineType;

     typedef itk::ImageFileReader< DTIImageType >      ReaderType;

     typedef itk::ImageFileWriter< ScalarImageType >   WriterType;

     typedef itk::ImageFileWriter< DTIOutputImageType >
DTIWriterType;

Error:

If I assign a DTIOutputImageType::Pointer for the output of the
ImageToVectorImageFilter and feed the writer the pointer, I get this

1>.\ImageReadExportNifti4.cxx(177) : error C2440: 'initializing' :
cannot convert from 'itk::VectorImage<TPixel,VImageDimension> *' to
'itk::SmartPointer<TObjectType>'

If I put the output of the ImageToVectorImageFilter directly to the
writer, I get this

1>.\ImageReadExportNifti4.cxx(178) : error C2664:
'itk::ImageFileWriter<TInputImage>::SetInput' : cannot convert parameter
1 from 'itk::VectorImage<TPixel,VImageDimension> *' to 'const
itk::VectorImage<TPixel,VImageDimension> *'

I wonder if the problem is caused by the typedef of the images. I'm
confused between "Vector" image type and "VectorImage" image type. Is
there a specific writer for the VectorImage type? Or is there another
way to do what I intended, combining scalar images to one vector image?

Thank you in advance for your response.

Best regards,

Meng-Kang Hsieh (Michael)

OpSciTech, Erasmus Mundus