[Insight-users] Need your help on ITK

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 09:57:30 EDT 2011

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 9:53 AM, faba <faba_ir at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello Dear ITK Users:
>
> I am new in itk and not very professional  in C++. Just a few days ago I
> started working with itk and now I am really frustrated! I have previously
> used other image processing package, Cimg, which simply include a single
> file and works very well. But it has not been the case for itk. I am being
> faced by confusing terms and programs such as Cmake, vtk, Active TCL....
> 1- I am wondering if there is any way to simply include a header file or an
> address on the top of the code and go for compile.
> 2- If there is no such a thing as above, I am looking for a simple very
> step-by-step instruction to explain in details how we can compile and run a
> simple program. There are a couple of instructions on the web but all of
> them have repeated the same vague statements. I follow these unclear
> instructions and always got error messages by Cmake. For example the paths
> that should be specified in the Cmake always give me errors. I really need a
> simple and very clear instruction that explain everything.
>
> Your help is really appreciated in advance
> Nick

You basically have to use CMake to use ITK. Here is why CMake is good:
https://docs.google.com/present/edit?id=0AcyIfGqnlfSoZGdqaGhnMnJfMjg5aHE3ZzhwdmQ&hl=en

There are hundreds of examples of doing things in ITK available here:
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK/Examples

Each example comes with a CMakeLists.txt file. The instructions on how
to build an example are here:
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK/Examples/Instructions/ForUsers

Give this a shot and let us know the specifics if you run into any problems.

David