[Insight-users] x64 and x86

Gib Bogle g.bogle at auckland.ac.nz
Sat Apr 2 18:41:03 EDT 2011

Hi Robert,

The MinGW64 toolset is:

=== TDM-GCC Compiler Suite for Windows ===
---           GCC 4.5 Series           ---
***    MinGW-w64 64/32-bit Edition     ***

This edition of TDM-GCC is a multilib bootstrap of GCC's x86_64-w64-mingw32
target, built to run on 32-bit or 64-bit Windows and generate binaries for
32-bit or 64-bit Windows.

It seems to have been released about 5/2010.  Although my programs are
using x86 Windows DLLs with '32' in the name, they seem to run OK
using more than 4GB of memory.

I don't understand the situation with the Windows DLLs.  For example,
I see that there are two files kernel32.dll, with different sizes, one
in windows\system32, the other in windows\syswow64.  I saw an online
post claiming that the files in system32 are actually 64-bit, on
Windows 7.  Is it possible that Dependency Walker is giving wrong
information?  As I understand it, mixing 32-bit and 64-bit code in a
program is not possible, and my programs seem to run fine (so far).

Gib