[Insight-users] Small discrepancy after applying registration transform

Johnson, Hans J hans-johnson at uiowa.edu
Fri Apr 1 07:37:19 EDT 2011

There is an insight journal article called "ResampleInPlace". That provides code to do this.

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 1, 2011, at 5:16 AM, "Patrik Brynolfsson" <patrik.brynolfsson at radfys.umu.se<mailto:patrik.brynolfsson at radfys.umu.se>> wrote:

Hello,

I have a little problem that I think is just down to some small detail in my understanding of DICOM and ITK. I want avoid resampling an image when applying a rigid transform by applying the transform to the directional cosines (C) and the position vector (V) of the image instead. I do this by first getting the rotation matrix (M) and the offset (O) from the transform (an Euler3DTransform) and setting the new directional cosines as the matrix multiplication of the rotation matrix and the directional cosines,

C2=M*C,

and the new position vector as

V2 = M*V + O.

I noticed that in order to get correct results I must subtract the offset O, so

V2 = M*V - O.

I check the result by resampling my new image using an identity transform and my fixed image as reference and then take the difference between them. The result is slightly worse than if I just resample my original moving image with the resulting transform of the registration. I use bsplines  = 3 when resampling in both cases. It seems that my way of applying the transform is off by a voxel or so.

What am I doing wrong? Since I wanted to add the offset instead of subtracting it I guess I don't fully understand the parameters I'm working with so I guess I'm making more mistakes. Can someone point them out to me? Maybe there is already a filter that does what I want to do?

Thanks in advance!

Regards