[Insight-users] Installing ITK in Lixux (Fedora11)

Oleksandr Dzyubak adzyubak at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 16:40:48 EDT 2010

Dear ITK users,

I have a suggestion.
Nowadays virtuality  is quite common in the computer world and
many OSes (Linuces and Unices, at least ) come with native support
for both hosts and guests.
Just to mention Zen, VirtualBox, VMWare, etc (which is FOSS, BTW!)...

In such virtual environment, guest efficiency as good as 95% and up.
As a rule, host virtual software is multi-platform, so are guests.

All what we need is to create a virtual machine distributable disk
for beginners with ITK pre-installed and let them (beginners) use it.
That virtual machine could be in any virtual format (*.vmdk, *.vdi, etc...)
since the ImportExport software is always available elsewhere.

Just to start, good candidates could be Linux-Debian with VirtualBox
as a host OS plus Linux-Debian (or its derivative Ubuntu) as a guest OS.

Both Debian and Ubuntu already have the pre-compiled
ITK version in their repositories.

In this way the beginners could immediately start using ITK
without having such a painful headache with ITK installation.

Regards,

Alex