[Insight-users] geodesic active contour shape prior levelset question

petin petin75 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 02:57:35 EDT 2010

Dear Itk users,

I'm using  GeodesicActiveContourShapePriorLevelSetFilter image filter to
segment 2d sagittal
images of vertebrae from L1 to S1. We created an average shape as described
within the
itk programming guide using about 50 images for each vertebrae, so the
segmented vertebrae
were registered ,we did the pca and so on....
After the training set has been created we tried the algorithm on some
image, the user was
able to click on the vertebrae and from this seed point the segmentation
started.  We found that the
final resul is a lot influenced by the rotation of the object to be
segmented, than we modified a bit
our user interface so that the user could specify an initial rotation of the
vertebrae to be segmented.
The results we got were quite good, but still there are some cases like
those attached where the
final segmentation is not perfectly adherent to the vertebrae border and the
segmented object
is not perfectly rotated.

Could you please give me some advice ?
Any hint would help.