[Insight-users] PixelType Doubt

Daniela Sacchetto danysunflower at hotmail.it
Mon Sep 13 07:55:22 EDT 2010

Thanks a lot, your mail was very useful for me.

Regards,

Daniela

Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 13:10:29 -0400
Subject: Re: [Insight-users] PixelType Doubt
From: luis.ibanez at kitware.com
To: danysunflower at hotmail.it
CC: insight-users at itk.org

Hi Daniela,

In genera you should use:

  A) signed short int   for     CT
  B) float                   for     PET
  C) signed shoft int   for     MRI

I'm not sure about US, but I would expect
that "unsigned char" will be a good fit.

Please take a look at the Insight Journal paper:

http://www.insight-journal.org/browse/publication/146

and the code in:

   InsightApplications/Auxiliary/vtk
                                  vtkKWImageIO.cxx

You will see how you can query the actual
pixel type of a DICOM file, and then instantiate
the appropriate pixel type for it.

Look at the "ReadAndCast()" method in lines 465-558:

  imageIO->SetFileName( this->FileName.c_str() );
  imageIO->ReadImageInformation();

  ScalarPixelType pixelType = imageIO->GetComponentType();

  // Use the pixel type to instantiate the appropriate reader
  switch( pixelType )
    {
    case itk::ImageIOBase::UCHAR:
      {
      this->ImageThatHasBeenRead = ReadAndCastMacro( unsigned char );
      this->ImagePixelType = UNSIGNED_CHAR;
      break;
      }

...etc.