[Insight-users] Smoothing displacements over a surface

Andriy Fedorov fedorov at bwh.harvard.edu
Mon Mar 22 12:20:53 EDT 2010

Since no-one replied, let me update this thread with what I
researched, in case comes across the same question.

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 11:21, Andriy Fedorov <fedorov at bwh.harvard.edu> wrote:
> 1) is there anything in ITK that I could use right away to perform
> this task? Maybe in VTK?

I didn't find any suitable filter in ITK/VTK.

> 2) is there a standard algorithm to perform this kind of filtering on
> the surface?

Here's one paper that discusses the topic:

Y.Shen, K.E.Barner "Fuzzy vector median-based surface smoothing" IEEE
Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics v.10(3),
pp.252-265, 2004

Implementation of the basic smoothing approaches described in this
paper is quite straightforward using the neighborhood iterators
available in QuadEdge mesh.