[Insight-users] AdaptiveHistgramEqualization too slow

Zhenchao Li cockneykevin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 04:32:15 EST 2010

Hi,
   I'm using itk's builtin adaptive histogram equalization to equalize an
image(3000*3000 in size), with the default arguments the process seems to
run forever. However if I use matlab's adaptivehisteq function the result
returns immediately. After googling I find that matlab uses an algorithm
called contrast limited AHE, while itk uses the original AHE. The difference
is that the former process the image block by block while the latter
processes the image globally.(not sure how really it works). So, am I stuck?
Or is there a way to use CLAHE in itk? The current AHE in itk is really
slow, any suggestions?