[Insight-users] itkGDCMIO : Different behaviour with MNOCHROME1 images when using gdcm 2.0.x rather than gdcm 1.2.x

Jesús Spí­nola jspinola at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 03:55:57 EST 2010

Hi again,

does anybody know what are the differences in itkGDCMIO when using gdcm
1.2.x and gdcm 2.0.x?

As I said before I am getting different results for MONOCHROME1 images, so I
want to know what I should take into account when using gdcm 2.0.x to
achieve the same resaults as with gdcm 1.2.x

Thanks in advance!

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 12:58 PM, Ivan Macia <imacia at vicomtech.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I can confirm this too. We are having exactly the same problem with the
> same configuration. I cannot say exactly which GDCM version since I don't
> have it here. What I don't remember either is if the problem appeared as a
> result of moving to GDCM 2.x or from upgrading from ITK 3.16 to 3.20 but I
> would say it was the upgrade to GDCM 2.x
>
> Best regards
>
> Iván
>
> 2010/12/24 Jesús Spí­nola <jspinola at gmail.com>
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am a DICOM viewer application developer and we use itk, gdcm and vtk.
>>
>> Until our last release we were using itk 3.16 (with integrated gdcm 1.2.x)
>> for reading the images and vtk 5.0 for displaying them.
>> We updated the libraries recently, so we are now using itk 3.20 (linked
>> against external gdcm 2.0) and vtk 5.6
>>
>> We observed a different behaviour with gdcm 2.0.x when reading MONOCHROME1
>> images with itkGDCM interface. The same MONOCHROME1 images that were
>> displyed correctly with itk 3.16 are now displayed like in inverse video
>> mode. I guess there have been some changes in the regarding classes so in
>> prior versions (itk+gdcm) some computation in the grayscale space was
>> performed which now it is not.
>>
>> I would like to know the diferences between these versions regarding image
>> reading and what I should do if I want to display them like
>> itk3.16+gdcm1.2.x does.
>>
>> This behaviour could be reproduced with the sample MONOCHROME1 images
>> contained in
>> http://www.creatis.insa-lyon.fr/~jpr/PUBLIC/gdcm/gdcmData.tar.gz<http://www.creatis.insa-lyon.fr/%7Ejpr/PUBLIC/gdcm/gdcmData.tar.gz>like D_CLUNIE_RG1_RLE.dcm or D_CLUNIE_RG3_RLE.dcm.
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> --