[Insight-users] ImportImageFilter segfault

Krishnan V v.srikrishnan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 12:46:12 EST 2010

Hi,
I am using the ImportImageFilter to assign a datablock to an image. The
problem I am facing is that when i return the output of this filter in a
function, the image pointer apparently contains no data even though I have
let the filter manage the data. I have included a small sample code. Is this
a bug or am I missing something?
Thanks,
Krishnan

/* ====================================================== */
#include "itkImageFileWriter.h"
#include "itkImportImageFilter.h"

typedef short PixelType;
int const Dims3D=3, Dims2D=2;
typedef itk::Image<PixelType, Dims3D> ImageType3D;

ImageType3D::Pointer func(void)
{
    typedef itk::ImportImageFilter<PixelType, Dims3D> Import_Filter_Type;
    Import_Filter_Type::Pointer importFilter=Import_Filter_Type::New();
    Import_Filter_Type::SizeType size;
    size[0] = 51;
    size[1] = 51;
    size[2] = 60;
    Import_Filter_Type::IndexType start;
    start.Fill(0);
    Import_Filter_Type::RegionType region;
    region.SetSize(size);
    region.SetIndex(start);
    double Origin[Dims3D];
    Origin[0]=Origin[1]=Origin[2]=0.0;
    importFilter->SetRegion(region);
    importFilter->SetOrigin(Origin);
    Origin[0]=Origin[1]=Origin[2]=1.0;
    importFilter->SetSpacing(Origin);//Reuse; just for demo code
    short *buf=new short[size[0]*size[1]*size[2]];
    importFilter->SetImportPointer(buf,size[0]*size[1]*size[2], true);
    try
    {
        importFilter->Update();
    }
    catch(itk::ExceptionObject &ob)
    {
        std::cout<<ob<<std::endl;
        getchar();
    }
    return importFilter->GetOutput();
}
int main( int argc, char **argv)
{
  typedef itk::ImageFileWriter<ImageType3D> WriterType;
  WriterType::Pointer writer = WriterType::New();
  ImageType3D::Pointer im = func();

  writer->SetInput(im);
  writer->SetFileName("test.mhd");
  try