[Insight-users] itkGDCMIO : Different behaviour with MNOCHROME1 images when using gdcm 2.0.x rather than gdcm 1.2.x

Jesús Spí­nola jspinola at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 04:34:07 EST 2010

Hello,

I am a DICOM viewer application developer and we use itk, gdcm and vtk.

Until our last release we were using itk 3.16 (with integrated gdcm 1.2.x)
for reading the images and vtk 5.0 for displaying them.
We updated the libraries recently, so we are now using itk 3.20 (linked
against external gdcm 2.0) and vtk 5.6

We observed a different behaviour with gdcm 2.0.x when reading MONOCHROME1
images with itkGDCM interface. The same MONOCHROME1 images that were
displyed correctly with itk 3.16 are now displayed like in inverse video
mode. I guess there have been some changes in the regarding classes so in
prior versions (itk+gdcm) some computation in the grayscale space was
performed which now it is not.

I would like to know the diferences between these versions regarding image
reading and what I should do if I want to display them like
itk3.16+gdcm1.2.x does.

This behaviour could be reproduced with the sample MONOCHROME1 images
contained in
http://www.creatis.insa-lyon.fr/~jpr/PUBLIC/gdcm/gdcmData.tar.gzlike
D_CLUNIE_RG1_RLE.dcm or D_CLUNIE_RG3_RLE.dcm.

Thanks in advance!

--
Jesús Spínola