[Insight-users] Efficiently comparing segmentation results

Neal R. Harvey harve at lanl.gov
Wed Dec 8 14:22:01 EST 2010

I am trying to write some code with which I can efficiently compare
segmentation results with
a known ground truth. There are several papers that describe interesting
metrics for doing this.
A common theme is finding intersection between segments.
There seems to be most of the functionality within ITK for doing this,
but I haven't been able to
figure out how to do it effectively/efficiently.
I want to be able to go through each region in a segmented image (i.e.
the pixels that have the same
value "i" in that image) and calculate the number of pixels within that
region that intersect with
each region in a ground truth image (i.e. the pixels that have the same
value "j" in that image).
I don't want to have to go through every pixel in the image and test to
see if it is value "i"
or "j", but want to have some way of limiting my processing to only
those pixels that have the
required values.
I am sure that this should be possible within ITK, I just haven't been
able to figure it out.
If anyone has any suggestions, it would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Harve

HARVE (Neal R. Harvey)           Email: harve at lanl.gov
ISR-2                            Phone: 505 667 9077
Los Alamos National Laboratory   Fax: 505 664 0362
Los Alamos, NM 87545, USA        Mail Stop: D-436