[Insight-users] registration using rotation + translation

Kevin Neff kevin.l.neff at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 12:07:44 EST 2010

Of the potential problems mentioned, the most obvious is getting the data
oriented roughly, so I'm trying to do that first.  I'm using
ResampleImageFilter4.cxx, modified for 3D rotation.  Input and output is
mhd, unsigned shorts.

When I rotate the volume by any amount, there is no visible difference.  I
tried 0, 1, 10, 45, 89, and 90 deg.  What am I doing wrong?

When a volume is rotated, the dimensions of the volume in the output mhd
file should account for it, right?  So rotating 45 deg should increase one
of the dimensions.

#include "itkImage.h"
#include "itkImageFileReader.h"
#include "itkImageFileWriter.h"
#include "itkResampleImageFilter.h"
#include "itkLinearInterpolateImageFunction.h"

#include "itkAffineTransform.h"

int main( int argc, char * argv[] )
{
  if( argc < 4 )
    {
    std::cerr << "Usage: " << std::endl;
    std::cerr << argv[0] << "  inputImageFile  outputImageFile  degrees" <<
std::endl;
    return EXIT_FAILURE;
    }

  const     unsigned int   Dimension = 3;
  typedef   unsigned short  InputPixelType;
  typedef   unsigned short  OutputPixelType;

  typedef itk::Image< InputPixelType,  Dimension >   InputImageType;
  typedef itk::Image< OutputPixelType, Dimension >   OutputImageType;

  typedef itk::ImageFileReader< InputImageType  >  ReaderType;
  typedef itk::ImageFileWriter< OutputImageType >  WriterType;

  WriterType::Pointer writer = WriterType::New();

  reader->SetFileName( argv[1] );
  writer->SetFileName( argv[2] );

  const double angleInDegrees = atof( argv[3] );

  typedef itk::ResampleImageFilter<
                  InputImageType, OutputImageType >  FilterType;

  FilterType::Pointer filter = FilterType::New();

  typedef itk::AffineTransform< double, Dimension >  TransformType;
  TransformType::Pointer transform = TransformType::New();

  typedef itk::LinearInterpolateImageFunction<
                       InputImageType, double >  InterpolatorType;
  InterpolatorType::Pointer interpolator = InterpolatorType::New();

  filter->SetInterpolator( interpolator );

  filter->SetDefaultPixelValue( 100 );

  reader->Update();

  const InputImageType * inputImage = reader->GetOutput();

  const InputImageType::SpacingType & spacing = inputImage->GetSpacing();
  const InputImageType::PointType & origin  = inputImage->GetOrigin();
  InputImageType::SizeType size =
      inputImage->GetLargestPossibleRegion().GetSize();

  filter->SetOutputOrigin( origin );
  filter->SetOutputSpacing( spacing );
  filter->SetOutputDirection( inputImage->GetDirection() );
  filter->SetSize( size );

  filter->SetInput( reader->GetOutput() );
  writer->SetInput( filter->GetOutput() );

  TransformType::OutputVectorType translation1;

  const double imageCenterX = origin[0] + spacing[0] * size[0] / 2.0;
  const double imageCenterY = origin[1] + spacing[1] * size[1] / 2.0;
  const double imageCenterZ = origin[2] + spacing[2] * size[2] / 2.0;

  translation1[0] =   -imageCenterX;
  translation1[1] =   -imageCenterY;
  translation1[2] =   -imageCenterZ;
  transform->Translate( translation1 );

  std::cout << "imageCenterX = " << imageCenterX << std::endl;
  std::cout << "imageCenterY = " << imageCenterY << std::endl;
  std::cout << "imageCenterZ = " << imageCenterZ << std::endl;

  const double degreesToRadians = vcl_atan(1.0) / 45.0;
  const double angle = angleInDegrees * degreesToRadians;
  transform->Rotate3D( -angle, false );

  TransformType::OutputVectorType translation2;
  translation2[0] =   imageCenterX;
  translation2[1] =   imageCenterY;
  translation2[2] =   imageCenterZ;
  transform->Translate( translation2, false );
  filter->SetTransform( transform );

  try
    {
    writer->Update();
    }
  catch( itk::ExceptionObject & excep )
    {
    std::cerr << "Exception caught !" << std::endl;
    std::cerr << excep << std::endl;
    }

  return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}