[Insight-users] ultimate erode set (erode up to object centres)

Gaëtan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Thu Jul 23 16:27:28 EDT 2009

Le 14 juil. 09 à 23:28, lynx.abraxas at freenet.de a écrit :

> Hello!

Hi Lynx,

> I just found the SignedDanielssonDistanceMapFilter. Since I want to
> apply a euclidian distance transform on the "ultimate eroded set"
> I'm not sure if the SignedDanielssonDistanceMapFilter produces the
> same result already in on go. Does anyone know if that is correct?

This filter doesn't produce a ultimate erosion. If you are interested
in ball structuring element, it should be easy to find the ultimate
eroded with that filter (or any other distance map filter): it's the
(set of) pixel with the highest distance values in object mask.

> In total I want to create a small program that separates and labels
> pores/particles by watersheds.

How do you use the ultimated eroded for that task?
Usually, the watershed on the distance map is quite good for this task.

> Thanks for any help or hints
> Lynx
>
> On 14/07/09 23:09:37, lynx.abraxas at freenet.de wrote:
>> Hello!
>>

>> I'm looking for a filter that iteratively erodes until only the
>> centres are left over. In the mavi docs it's discrribed as: "
>> The Ultimate Eroded (Dilated) Set is defined only for MONO images.
>> It is the union of all connected components of foreground
>> (background)
>> pixels that disappear completely in each step of successive erosions
>> (dilations) performed on the input image. The structuring element
>> is defined
>> by the neighborhood, which can be chosen in the dialog."
>>

>> Is there such a filter in ITK? Or can it be implemented easily?
>> I couldn't find any hint searching in the user's guide nor in the
>> doxygen docs nor in the insight journal.

I don't think there is such a filter in ITK. It shouldn't be that hard
to implement though, and would make a great contribution to the
insight journal!

Gaëtan