[Insight-users] anisotropic diffusion

Bruno Arbter bruno.arbter at isv.uni-stuttgart.de
Fri Dec 4 08:55:52 EST 2009

Hi,

I started using nonlinear diffusion filters in 3D. As far as I understood,
the classic Perona-Malik implementation
(itkGradientNDAnisotropicDiffusionFunction) uses a scalar value for the
conductance and is strictly speaking isotropic. Further I found the
level-set-based initkCurvatureNDAnisotropicDiffusionFunction.

But are there any anisotropic (edge-enhancing) diffusion filters that are
able to stop diffusion perpendicular to edges but allows diffusion parallel
to edges?

In itkAnisotropicDiffusionFunction.h I found the hint that "several
variations on the scheme [...] are implemented in Itk"...

Thanks,
Bruno