[Insight-users] WrapITK Java Runtime issue

Daniel Mace dlm19 at duke.edu
Wed Jan 23 17:13:27 EST 2008

Hi,

I have a quick question regarding WrapITK and Java.  I can download and
compile ITK/CableSwig/WrapITK fine when I have the Build Mode set to
blank "", but when I try and build it under "Release" mode I get some
runtime issues.  I can't seem to get the filters to update their inputs
(SetInput() doesn't work).  I've tried this with several of the test
files and it seems to be a recurring issue.  With the simple read and
write example it tells me: "No Input to writer!", and with the cast
image filter, it tells me: "At least 1 inputs are required but only 0
are specified".  These are all thrown when calling the writer.Update()
method.  The pipeline just doesn't seem to connect in release mode.
 From what I can tell, the reader seems to be working fine (throws
exceptions if no file is found/wrong IO factory, etc.), but none of the
pipelines work.  Is this a bug, or can WrapITK for Java not be built
under "Release" mode.  Am I getting a performance hit by not building it
under "Release" mode (which is usually the case when I am writing ITK
code in C++).

I've reproduced this on two separate machines running Linux (ubuntu and
CentOS), and all combinations of Java 1.5, 1.6, ITK 2.81 and ITK 3.4 and
have gotten identical issues.   It doesn't seem to matter if I build
CableSwig and ITK first in Release mode, it's just the last build of
WrapITK that matters.   I've also tried it building it with CableSwig
and no WrapITK manually and got the same results.

Cheers,
Dan