[Insight-users] itk::VectorResampleImageFilter

Lars Friedrich lars-friedrich at gmx.net
Thu Apr 17 09:19:04 EDT 2008

Hello itk-users,

I have a little question regarding itk::VectorResampleImageFilter:

I use the vector resample image filter for initial rigid transformations
of various 3D deformation fields (PixelType = itk::Vector<float, 3>)
which are later used for generating an instance of an appearance model
through warping. The VectorResampleImageFilter transforms the vectors,
but the direction of the vectors (voxels) is not changed (I tried to
depict this with some ASCII-arts below ;)) because the components of the
vectors are simply interpolated for the new transformed position and
copied. In my case I need the change of the vector-direction (according
to the applied transformation) too. Because otherwise the warping later
generates 'irregular' model instances.

original (showing the problem in 2D where the slashes should illustrate
a vector - direction to the right upper corner):

|--------------------------------|
|                                |
|         /                      |
|        /                       |
|                                |
O--------------------------------|

applied transformation: +90 degrees around the deformation field's
origin (O)

this is what itk::VectorResampleImageFilter does (the direction is not
changed):

-----------
|         |
|         |
|         |
|         |
|         |
|         |
|         |
|         |
|         |
|         |
|      /  |
|     /   |
|         |
|         |
|         |
O----------

desirable in my case (vector is now pointing to the left upper corner):

-----------
|         |
|         |
|         |
|         |
|         |
|         |
|         |
|         |
|         |
|         |
|    \    |
|     \   |

So, my question is: is there a simple way to achieve the change of
vector direction too in ITK or do I have to modify and implement
itk::VectorResampleImageFilter?

I would be very very grateful for an answer!!

regards,
Lars