[Insight-users] Selecting the sigma for the vesselness

Chris McIntosh cmcintos.sfu at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 17:58:34 EDT 2007

Hello Rashed,

It appears I misunderstood your goal. It seems you are trying to
determine the vessel radius
at each voxel, and not filter the image. Or perhaps segment the entire
vessel...

Yes your interpretation of the VED filter is correct. As is your
interpretation of Frangi's approach.
I thought there was a multi-scale version of that filter in ITK already,
but perhaps I was wrong.

The Hessian3DToVesselnessMeasuerImageFilter, however, is not Frangi's
filter.
http://www.itk.org/Doxygen34/html/classitk_1_1Hessian3DToVesselnessMeasureImageFilter.html

"3D Multi-scale line filter for segmentation and visualization of
curvilinear structures in medical images", Yoshinobu Sato, Shin
Nakajima, Hideki Atsumi, Thomas Koller, Guido Gerig, Shigeyuki Yoshida,
Ron Kikinis.

is the filter that is used there.

Cheers,

Chris