[Insight-users] Determine if BMP is color or grayscale

Sébastien Fricker sebastien.fricker at phaseview.net
Tue Oct 23 02:53:43 EDT 2007

Dear ITK users,

How can I determine if a BMP image is 8 bits grayscale or 24 bits RGB?

I was able to use an ImageIO to read image information, but I can’t seem to
access the bit depth information (m_Depth being private).

I would like to write an application that can open and process grayscale or
color images, then save the output as grayscale or color.

Color images are processed differently (they are treated as vector images)
so I need to differentiate them.

Here is a sample of my code:

itk::ImageIOBase::Pointer imageIO = itk::ImageIOFactory::CreateImageIO(
fileName.c_str(), itk::ImageIOFactory::ReadMode );

imageIO->SetFileName( fileName );

imageIO->ReadImageInformation();

imageIO->GetComponentType() returns UCHAR in both cases.

imageIO->GetNumberOfComponents() returns 3 in both cases.

Thanks for your help,

Sébastien Fricker