[Insight-users] Compiling WrapITK with many types on under VS.net 8.0 and above

Ali - saveez at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 15 10:14:33 EDT 2007

Hi,

When compiling WrapITK with more than a certain number of types on, one encounters 'Fatal Error C1128' which is due to the fact that the compiled object exceeds the maximum allowable number of sections [1, 2, 3].

Since VS.net 8.0, it is possible to avoid this problem by the command /bigobj, however, it may not be trivial to 'programatically' find which object exceeds the limit and assign the /bigobj command dynamically in this way. There are at least 2 rather static solutions:

(a) To include /bigobj for all the projects. It is not known to me if this would affect the compilation, or even runtime, performance or not.

(b) To use /bigobj as we go. For ITK 3.4, the only project that I needed to include the command was IntensityFiltersPython.

It would be good if option (b) could be included in the CVS. The only condition is that the VS.net version number must be >= 8.0.

[1] http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8578y171(VS.80).aspx
[2] http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms173499(VS.80).aspx
[3] http://cpbotha.net/2007/08/02/python-enabled-vtk-51-and-itk-32-windows-binaries/#comment-3685