[Insight-users] FEM in ITK

Bryn Lloyd blloyd at student.ethz.ch
Thu May 24 17:57:16 EDT 2007

Hello

I have some questions about FEM in ITK vs VTK.

Why was ITK chosen instead of VTK to build a FEM
framework? The existing Cell classes in VTK already
have a lot of the necessary functionality, no?
Additionally, VTK has unstructured grid readers and
writers, which - please correct me if I am wrong -
ITK still does not seem to have (except for the
triangle mesh IO classes for vtkPolyData).

What is the overall plan in ITK regarding FEM?
Will code from VTK for different elements (cells),
and IO be "converted" to ITK style or is somebody
working on these issues?

Is there maybe a wiki which describes the goals for
FEM in ITK?

Thanks in advance

Bryn