[Insight-users] Sigmoid Filter

Daniel Mace dlm19 at duke.edu
Tue Jan 16 13:14:11 EST 2007

Maria,

I see.  Page 150 has a nice illustration of the parameters.  The Beta
value can be thought of the offset on the pixel value that you are
trying to isolate.  E.g., if the object you are trying to isolate is at
a pixel intensity above 150, you would choose a Beta value that is
around that value.  The Alpha value can be thought of as the scaling or
variance of the sigmoid.  Lower alpha values will make the pixel range
of your intensity sharper.   There are quite a few examples in the Level
Set  chapter on  the use of the sigmoid function.  Here it is applied to
the  mapping of the  gradient of the image.  In this case you would want
to choose a Beta value near  the intensity of the gradient that you are
trying to isolate.  E.g., the gradient you are trying to find occurs at
an intensity of 5 or more.  Perhaps you would notice that most gradients
that have an intensity of less than 2 are noise/nonsense objects.  You
might choose a Beta value that is near your gradient, but would account
for some variability, say, 4.  Your alpha value would decide how much of
the noise you would want to include in your transformation.  Smaller
alpha values (0.25, 0.5) would zero out most of the noise, but it might
make your actual signal thicker and not specific enough.  Conversely,
larger alpha values (e.g. 3+) might have a smoother signal but might
include more noise.  Negative alpha values can be thought of as using a
positive alpha value and then inverting the image.

Cheers,
Dan