[Insight-users] Creating a 3D image with 2D images that exhibit variable image sp acing

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 07:31:04 EST 2007

Richard,

ITK does not support volumes with variable spacing. I have worked with the
Visible Human data and have handled this issue two ways:

1) Create multiple 3D volumes each with its own spacing.
2) Resample each 3D volume to a common spacing.

I resampled the fresh CT Visible Human Male and Female data sets into 1mm
pixels and converted them to DICOM. The University of Iowa hosts this data
at:
http://mri.radiology.uiowa.edu/VHDicom/index.html

Bill