[Insight-users] Creating a 3D image with 2D images that exhibit variable image sp acing

Sims Richard (RKB) Clinical Scientist Richard.Sims at uhcw.nhs.uk
Wed Feb 28 06:09:39 EST 2007

Hi

I'm wondering whether anyone can help me...

...I have some visible human data of the head and would like to create 3D
volumes prior to performing a registration. The details of the registration
are not important at this stage, what I am more concerned with is the finer
details behind the 2D slices that create the volume.

One of the datasets (frozen CT) has a constant image spacing for the 100 or
so slices I am interested in (e.g. 0.55mm/pixel), whereas the other dataset
(normal, fresh CT) has variable image spacing (e.g. 0.55-0.75mm/pixel). I
have written a small matlab script to read in the *.txt file that is
provided with each 2D data file to create a separate *.mha file that is then
used with a script similar to the ImageSeriesReadWrite.cxx example script to
create a 3D dicom file.

When I check the header of the newly created 3D dicom file there are only
one pair of values for the image spacing, presumably of the final image
slice that was used to compile it. Does the newly created dicom file contain
the correct image spacing for all slices, or are they all stored at the
displayed value (therefore rendering the file useless)?

If this is the case, is there any way around it apart from creating several
smaller 3D dicom volumes?

Many thanks in advance,

Richard.

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail and any attachments hereto are confidential and may
contain proprietary information or be legally privileged. This e-mail is for
the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) only. If you are not the
intended recipient(s) you must not use, copy, print or rely on this message
or any attachment or disclose the content to any other person. If you have
received this e-mail in error please notify the author by replying to this
e-mail or contact us on info at uhcw.nhs.uk.