[Insight-users] Re: 3D Image to voxel conversion

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sat Feb 24 10:40:55 EST 2007

Hi Subbu,

1) You can read a collection of 2D images from files
    and create a 3D volume by using the ImageSeriesReader.

    Please read the "Reading and Writing Images" chapter of
    the ITK Software Guide

       http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

1.5) You must not believe everything that you read in
      articles, especially if they are not accompanied
      by source code and images that allow to reproduce
      an experiment. Papers that only contain text and
      pictures are to be read as nice stories of legendary
      adventures.

      The claim that it is possible to segment a CT slice by
      using thresholding, is sometimes true and sometimes false.

      It all depends of what you are trying to segment and
      what CT protocol was used for the acquisition. The
      fact that somebody may have succeeded to perform a
      segmentation from a CT slice using just thresholding
      is an *interesting anecdotic information*, but apart
      from that is *technically useless* information.

2)  If your initial images have anisotropic pixels, that
     information is propagated by ITK filters upto the
     final segmentations.  If you obtained your segmentation
     by using a different tool, then you have to go back
     to the original images and recover the Origin and Spacing
     information.