[Insight-users] VTK vs. ITK

Elena Pavlovskaia elena.pavlovskaia at otismed.com
Tue Feb 20 17:10:15 EST 2007

I am using VTK for mesh processing and ITK for image registration and
segmentation during a couple of months. I am much impressed with both tool
kits.

Now I am going to create my application that would make a lot specialized
algorithms related to mesh processing. I see that both VTK and ITK support
mesh structure. I also see that people often conver VTK <--> ITK data
structures. I am trying to understand if I should base my application
mostly on ITK or mostly on VTK classes.

- Are there more mesh related algorithms in VTK vs. ITK?
- Are there more numerical algorithms in ITK vs. VTK?
- Are there any general guidelines on when it is more advantageous to use
VTK or ITK?

I will appreciate any hints on where I can find related information.

Elena