[Insight-users] writing float dicom images

a.bongers at mediri.com a.bongers at mediri.com
Thu Feb 15 11:09:52 EST 2007

Hi,

I was trying to use the FileWriter to write a 2D DICOM image with float
values.
My rough procedure is:
1. create a 2D float image, and allocate it.
2. copy some values from another image into this image.
3. create a float file writer Object with the float image as input
4. set the filename to something with ending ".dcm"
5. update the writer

The problem is that the FileWriter crashes when I try this with my float
image. An ERROR is caught which tells me: "DICOM does not support this
component type". Can anyone tell me what this means ?
When I use unsigned short images and writer instead I have no problems at
all.
Is the writer not able to write float dicom images? Does DICOM support
float images at all? Could it be that the bit depth for the file writer
is set or taken wrongly ?  Do I possibly have to tell the fileWriter the
bit depth explicitely (besides the declaration) ?

Would be really great if someone could give me a useful hint!

Thanks a lot.

ANdré