[Insight-users] How to read and store multiple variable-length frame images?

Geoff Topping g_topping at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 9 19:18:35 EST 2007

I'm writing a custom ImageIO class to read a file format that has multiple
3D volumes in one file, with each volume corresponding to a different time
frame.  I am unsure how I should store this information to be compatible and
consistent with the rest if ITK...

The frames are of different durations, so I can't use a single m_Spacing
value for that dimension.  Also, I don't want the time dimension to be
treated as if it was a spatial dimension when doing registrations on the
volumes...  In particular, I'd like to be able to apply a spatial
transformation to each 3D  frame volume as if it was a separate 3D image.

That said, it is essentially a 4D data set, so it would seem natural to
treat it as a 4D image, if this is possible.  I'm also not sure how to
properly read and store multiple 3D volumes from a single ::Read() call.

I haven't been able to find any indication online of how this sort of
situation should be dealt in ITK.  Are there any existing multi-frame
variable-duration image reading classes I can base my work off of?  Any help
would be appreciated.

Geoff Topping