[Insight-users] Watershed Behavior

Richard Beare richard.beare at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 21:46:04 EST 2007

Hi,

It turned out that I had a mix of old 2.8 libraries and the new 3.0.1
versions from the update, which is why my code was crashing. I've
fixed that now and both sets of code will run, but I can't check my
results until InsightApplications have rebuilt.

However I have a hypothesis. You may be able to check it out.

The morphological watershed filter is actually a mini pipeline. It
computes regional minima, labels them and then uses them as input to
MorphologicalWatershedFromMarkers. The order of output labels
therefore depends on the raster order of the regional minima. Since
you have two slices it is conceivable that the regional minima of the
bottom row were in slice 1, while all the others were in slice 2. This
could be a result of the gradient computation plus some boundary
conditions. If there are two disconnected regions with the same label
then there is definitely a bug.

Anyway, I'll check that further when the viewers are running again.