[Insight-users] Mattes MI: "Too many samples map outside..."

Xabier Artaechevarria Artieda xabiarta at unav.es
Thu Feb 8 05:30:39 EST 2007

Hi all,
I am registering multiple images using Bspline transform. The program
is working fine with all images except with one couple. I get the
following error after 174 iterations:

170   -1.07817   4.07948e-05
171   -1.07818   4.09635e-05
172   -1.07818   5.61295e-05
173   -1.07818   4.65465e-05
174   -1.07818   4.64441e-05
ExceptionObject caught !

itk::ExceptionObject (0x6c81a0)
Location: "void
itk::MattesMutualInformationImageToImageMetric<TFixedImage,
TMovingImage>::GetValueAndDerivative(const typename
itk::ImageToImageMetric<TFixedImage, TMovingImage>::ParametersType&,
typename itk::ImageToImageMetric<TFixedImage,
TMovingImage>::MeasureType&, typename
itk::ImageToImageMetric<TFixedImage, TMovingImage>::DerivativeType&)
const [with TFixedImage = main(int, char**)::FixedImageType,
TMovingImage = main(int, char**)::MovingImageType]"
File:
/usr/local/etc/ITK/Code/Algorithms/itkMattesMutualInformationImageToImageMetric.txx
Line: 995
MattesMutualInformationImageToImageMetric(0x6ab920): Too many samples
map outside moving image buffer: 0 / 184251

I have seen a previous thread where it was mentioned that this might
be due to a lack of overlap between the images. However, at least
visually, images seem to overlap quite well.
Is there any other possible reason? And ways to solve it?
Thanks in advance,
Xabi