[Insight-users] Watershed Behavior

Gaetan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Thu Feb 8 04:48:12 EST 2007

Hi,

You may also want to test the morphological watershed Richard and I have
contributed, and see if it gives better results.

http://hdl.handle.net/1926/202

You can also found this new filter in ITK cvs now.

Regards,

Gaetan

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 04:34:39 +0100, Richard Beare
<richard.beare at gmail.com> wrote:

> Have a look at the gradient image and dheck whether there are plateaus
> in the zig-zag area. The behaviour of the standard itk watershed is
> somewhat arbitary in the presence of plateaus.
>

> On 2/8/07, Albert Huang <alberth+itk at ece.ubc.ca> wrote:
>>

>> Dear experts
>>
>> I was just playing with the watershed pipeline a few days ago using a
>> checkerboard pattern (with uint8 grids of black=64, gray=153,
>> white=192),
>> and observed a zig-zaggy pattern on some edges (see
>> http://www.ece.ubc.ca/~alberth/watershed.png). Adding a
>> smooth field on the checkboard results in more zig-zaggy behaviors on
>> edges
>> that seem fairly strong in the input image. I am wondering if this is
>> normal
>> behavior for the itkWatershedImageFilter?
>>
>> My pipeline (ITK 3.0.1) setup is as below:
>>     file reader ->
>>     vector gradient magnitude image filter (pca off) ->
>>     watershed (level=0.2, threshold=0.0) ->
>>     relabel component
>>
>> p.s. The black regions in the outputs are colormap problems and not a
>> watershed issue. =)
>>
>> Thanks
>> Albert

Gaëtan Lehmann
INRA de Jouy-en-Josas (France)
tel: +33 1 34 65 29 66    fax: 01 34 65 29 09
http://voxel.jouy.inra.fr